Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Older and.. wiser?

I've worked as a CNA for 6 years now and the most common complaint is about food. Every time I talk to my mom on the phone, we talk about work and she always has a new story about someone making a dietary complaint (we work at the same assisted living, btw). One day they'll be complaining about not being served enough vegetables then, a week later, they're saying they're being fed too many. But oh no, they don't stop there. They have recently began "grading" the pea, peach, and green bean quality. The peas are at a grade B, the peaches don't even measure on the grading scale because they're so terrible, and the beans are a grade C. What makes the beans and peaches so bad, you ask? Because they AREN'T THE SAME SIZE. Yes, you read that right. The beans need to be cut evenly and the peaches need to be sliced equally in order for them to score an A rating. I wish I were making this up. Things are too hot, too cold, too yellow, or too red. But I suppose the constant criticism is understandable... there isn't much to do in a retirement home. There's only so much bingo a person can play in a day. Oh how I miss those old folks back home...

"I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra 3 years in the geriatric ward." -John Mortimer

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha that's hilarious that they're graded on SIZE rather than on taste or freshness.

    ReplyDelete